Electronic publication

Robert.H.Gross at MAC.DARTMOUTH.EDU Robert.H.Gross at MAC.DARTMOUTH.EDU
Wed Oct 3 15:58:34 EST 1990

     I have actually discussed the possibility of electronic publishing with
several publishers of paper journals.  They are very interested in the idea,
but have no idea of how to proceed.  The problems with cost recover and
distribution are part of the difficulty.  Let me raise a couple of interesting
ideas.  I am not necessarily recommending these ideas, but merely pointing out
some interesting possibilities.  Hopefully, this will generate some
discussion.

* Costs could be (partially) recovered by having electronic advertising in the
  published electronic journal.  Advertisers would pay as they do now.
Readers
  would see the advertising when the look at the journal (as they do now).
* Readers could go to an online BBoard and read the table of contents of the
  journal (after seeing the electronic ads?).  If papers are of interest, they
  could be downloaded and a fee charged to the user.
* If hypermedia links could be implemented, it should be possible to have
  references in the text of the paper actually link to the referenced paper
  itself.  Clicking the reference in the text of the paper with a mouse would
  then open another window containing the referenced paper.  Obviously, this
will
  take many years and many electronic publications to become at all feasible,
but
  it might be an important long range goal.
* Again, utilizing hypermedia techniques, it would be interesting to allow
some
  (refereed) comments to be attached to the published paper.  These comments
or
  notes could be accessed as in the last point with a mouse.  For example, I
  might attach a comment to text in the paper suggesting an alternative
  interpretation of the data; the authors of the paper may attach new data at
  later date that relates to the original paper (or at least attach a pointer
  a newer paper).  Thus the original publication can be considered dynamic.
The
  old data always will be there, but will be put in the context of more recent
  information and will benefit :) from comments of knowledgeable readers.
* The previous point raises the question of what constitutes a paper and
  therefore what constitutes authorship.  If I attach to a published paper a 4
  page comment that contains experimental data and interpretive text, do I get
  "credit" for a publication?  Should the original authors be co-authors on
the
  added "comment"? etc.

                                        Bob Gross
                                        Biology & Molecular Genetics