Electronic publication

Roy Smith roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu
Wed Oct 3 09:39:02 EST 1990

	What do you think about an electronic journal?  Not a newsgroup (even
a moderated one), but a real scientific journal in which manuscripts for
full-length original research papers are submitted by email, sent for formal
review by email, subjected to the same standards as for a (shall we say) old
fashioned hard copy journal, and distributed to the subscribers
electronically.  Papers (does the term still apply?) published in such a
forum would "count" as publications, and would be cited as original research
articles.

	Much as I think it's a neat idea, I realize the world isn't ready for
this quite yet.  How to deal with figures, for example, is just one of many
technical problems.  And I won't even touch the problems of peer acceptance,
or accesibility of archives via a conventional library.  Just thought I'd
being it up as food for thought, and as a teaser to start some discussion.

	Think about it.  Do you think it's a good idea?  Do you think it
could be made to work in a year?  Two years?  Five?  Ten?  Twenty?  What if
the technical problems could be solved today, say by magically putting a 10
MIPS Megapixel greyscale X terminal on everybody's desk, with universal T1 or
better connectivity?  Would you subscribe?  Would you submit manuscripts to
it?  Would your colleagues?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"