Proposal for Human Chromosome 22 Electronic Newsgroup

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Fri Oct 26 23:06:56 EST 1990

David,

	Thanks for your vote to form the newsgroup.  I expect at the
rate votes are coming in the group will be approved soon.

	Regarding voting procedures, Eliot Lear who manages the bionet
USENET groups here, and who has considerable experience working with
netnews software, happens to be (not coincidentally 8-) the moderator
of news.announce.newgroups, the main USENET newsgroup in which calls
for new groups are put out.  He is intimately familiar with USENET
regulations.  The rules that you cite are for the major USENET domains
such as comp, rec, sci, etc.  The bionet groups are not required to
adhere to those guidelines since they are a small specialty set.  Our
current regulations were worked out by common agreement among the
BIOSCI/bionet managers at our various distribution nodes.  Biologists
are not yet present on the net in numbers comparable to computer
scientists, and to hold them to rules set up by computer scientists
would effectively prevent the formation of almost any newsgroup at
this stage of development.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson