Electronic publication

James G. Smith jgsmith at watson.bcm.tmc.edu
Wed Oct 3 11:58:04 EST 1990

I think an electronic journal is a great idea.  With the advent of easy to use
hypermedia, I think all the technical problems could be ironed out in a year or
two.  The format would most likely be HyperCard/Toolbook.  As for cost recovery,
aren't there on-line services right now for which you need to pay a fee to get
an account?  All you need is a mail list for which you need to pay a
subscription fee.

I see the biggest hurdle as acceptance by the scientific community.  Many don't
know the Net exists and most don't know what you can do with it.  The answer to
this (and I hate to say it) would be advertising.

*