What/who is bionet

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Wed Sep 19 14:01:46 EST 1990

> The set up at BIONET is that when anyone replies to a posting it goes
> to the original poster rather than the list. I suppose this is a throw
> back to the old days of BIONET, where you had to protect a scientist from
> making a fool of himself in public.

This is part of it (although I wouldn't call it a throwback because
this situation still exists with novice, and even occasionally with
experienced users).  I believe that there is also a legitimate
difference in standards between the BITNET LISTSERV community and the
Internet/USENET communities which involves non-compliance by IBM based
LISTSERV mailers with other systems.  I'll have to check this again
with Eliot Lear here, but this is my recollection of the impasse on
this issue the last time it came up many months ago.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager