What/who is bionet

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Mon Sep 17 12:40:40 EST 1990

> Bionet, on the otherhand, has been somewhat more lively, although it
> continues to be a vehicle for polite requests for help with (1) using
> the network itself, (2) tracking down references, and (3) getting off
> subscription lists.  Of course, this is a generalization ...

Instead of a generalization, I would say that this is a falsehood.
Anyone who regularly follows, for example, the METHODS or BIO-SOFTWARE
newsgroups will see a lot of useful information exchange going on even
though all of the responses are not always posted to everyone.
Although some BIOSCI groups are inactive, your characterization of the
newsgroups as a "generalization" is unfair.

Una, you have approached me about this CONSLINK issue in the past and
my response remains the same.  Anyone is free to propose a new
newgroup by sending a proposal to BIONEWS at any time.  We request
only that the proposer only have sufficient interest to be prepared to
serve as a moderator (in the sense of someone who stimulates
discussion ... we do the newsgroup maintenance.).  The proposal is
then put out to a vote.  If it gets 40 votes in 60 days we create the
group.

In the case of CONSLINK my feeling is that conservation, although a
worthy topic, has not attracted a big following in this arena.  Our
one attempt on BIOSCI in this area, the BIO-CONVERSION newsgroup, has
fallen close to the bottom of the list in activity and will be
shutdown in the not-too-distant future.  Furthermore, the fact that
you have not been able to get a discussion going in CONSLINK's other
format (a BITNET mailing list if I recall?) does not make me
optimistic for its success here either.

However, it is not my opinion but the vote of our users which decides
these things.  If you want to start a CONSLINK newsgroup, send in your
proposal along with your agreement to moderate it and we'll put it out
to a vote.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson