Need biomass assay technique

ebstokes at ebstokes at
Wed Apr 24 19:44:42 EST 1991

Greetings !
	I am a physicist who finds myself working on a
biotechnological project. We are developing new optical methods for
characterizing wastewater bioremediation. Specifically, we are
monitoring the optical properties of a culture containing live
biomass, powder actvated carbon, and industrial wastewater. Ultimately,
we would like to establish an optical assay for live biomass; we can't
use optical density because of the carbon.
	I would like anyone's suggestions for measuring the mass
density of live biomass in such a medium using any technique. I am
particularly interested in non-optical techniques, so that we can
correlate our measurements with independent ones.
				Ed Stokes
				ebstokes at