xrn news reader

Wilson S. Ross bross at nas.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 1 03:08:32 EST 1991

I never had the patience to read news until I encountered the xrn windowing
interface. Here's what it looks like (with a scroll bar on each text section).
The following is all in a single window with highlighted buttons and settable
shades/colors for anything: fonts in each section, buttons, highlights around
buttons, borders, backgrounds. I just grabbed a friend's configuration. At
the beginning, the top section lists newsgroups with the # of unread articles;
when I select a group, the selection of buttons changes and I see the example
below. When I post, reply or followup, an editing window pops up with
"abort" "send" "save" "include file" buttons at the bottom. I can copy and
paste with the mouse. Sufficient reason for using X-windows for me.

Bill Ross

+  1576	Computer image of the HEART and the BRAIN?    gt3228c Yeh,Edwin R.
+  1577	(none)                                        Manager
+  1578	BioBit No 20 ( Free-net session )             "Robert Harper  Finland"
+  1579	BIOSCI PROBLEM IN U.K.                        Dave Kristofferson
+  1580	Example of using USENET (LONG message)        Dave Kristofferson
   1581	Obituary: Dr. Julia Hardin                    William McIver Jr.
   1582	VMS database submission form program          tony at wehi.edu.au
   1583	trace analysis for DDT and lead arsenate      yaqui

 Quit  Next_Unread  Next  Prev  Post  Unsubscribe  Subject_next  Subject_prev

 Subject_search  Author_kill  Subject_kill  Post
<resizable section for current post>