VMS database submission form program

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Sat Aug 3 10:14:47 EST 1991

>         Gee, willies... Have I set the cat among the pigeons..
> I dare to raise my head. I feel I am in a bunker somewhere near the
> flash point for the start of World War III!

Welcome to the friendly world of biological computing 8-).  My scabs
are so thick by now they form a rather effective armor.

>         Read that last sentence a couple time folks. I waited ten days
> to two weeks for responses. I got about a dozen requests for the
> program,
> but the only comment coming from anywhere near a database was Dave
> Kristofferson who said if you remember..

> >Since the data submission form is still an accepted mode of operation
> >I don't see how we can be opposed to someone doing this.  It would be
> >clear that this was a different program from Authorin.

And, paradoxical as it may seem, I would think that we can't be
opposed to this in theory as long as we accept and distribute the
database submission form ourselves, **but** I am only one rather new
voice in the database crowd.  However, that does not keep us from
trying to strongly encourage people to use Authorin and reserve the
form only as a last resort.  I think that was the purpose of Paul's
message.  My only comment was that I would at least hope that the
*latest version* of the form is included in your program.  A text file
form should be easily replaceable if updates occur.  That should not
be an insuperable task.  I don't mean to be hypercritical here, but
some things can set the database effort back rather than help it.
After listening to all of the praises sung about public domain
software to solve this problem, the first thing to come out is already
subject to exactly the kind of problems that I predicted would occur.
I understand that the program's author also no longer works at your
site which raises questions about maintenance.

On another point that you raise, please note that Authorin was also
originally planned to incorporate a communication protocol to allow
for transparent uploading of sequence data to LANL.  To keep the
"peace," I'm not going to get into the details of why it was not
implemented.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at genbank.bio.net

P.S. - I am also off on vacation so the readers can enjoy a respite
from World War III until we get back.

BIOSCI READERS: PLEASE DON"T SEND MAIL TO ME PERSONALLY ABOUT
NEWSGROUP ISSUES.  Use biosci at genbank.bio.net as always.  Someone else
will be monitoring that address in my absence.

P.P.S. - You mentioned that the transaction protocol was "locked up"
but this was probably before you saw Michael Cinkosky's later posting
about how to retrieve it.