COMING CHANGES: BIONEWS/bionet.announce and BIO-CHAT/bionet.general

doelz at urz.unibas.ch doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Tue Dec 10 01:38:30 EST 1991

In article <Dec.9.10.24.40.1991.10256 at genbank.bio.net>, kristoff at genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) writes:

> Most likely in the first quarter of next year BIOSCI/bionet will be
> undergoing some extensive reorganization.  As part of these changes,

Wouldn't it be a good idea to ask the community for suggestions? I imagine
that the 'use and abuse' of the bionet.general was an expression of the
(admittedly historical, but not ideal) current hierarchy. I certainly would
like to have specialized forums for particular software packages
(why not feed INFO-GCG into here?) which are discussed on mailing lists
only. I really hate to get all the bitnet hierarchy just because of one
or two other newsgroups.

> bionet.general will officially become a "free forum" where people can
> chat and brawl to their heart's content.  The e-mail name for the list
> will probably be changed from BIONEWS to something like BIO-CHAT.

This is an idea which is worth being discussed, at least. I think that
the more simple a change will be the better the result - and redirecting
names but keeping the old for a new purpose doen't likely become a good
starter.

> BIONEWS will be associated with a new USENET newsgroup called
> bionet.announce which will be a ***fully moderated forum***.  Current

Wow :-)    Who's going to do that job???

> e-mail subscribers to BIONEWS/bionet.general will be automatically
> subscribed to the new BIONEWS/bionet.announce newsgroup, but e-mail
> postings from the new BIO-CHAT/bionet.general newsgroup will only be
> sent to people who request e-mail subscriptions.  Anything deemed not
> appropriate for the moderated bionet.announce newsgroup will not be
> (shudder) censored but will instead be redirected to bionet.general.
> This will allow those who subscribed to BIONEWS/bionet.general as a
> more serious, lower volume forum to limit their receipt of messages to
> bionet.announce postings.  The new bionet.general forum will give a
> forum to those who desire one for discussing whatever in biology is of
> interest to them.  People who subscribe to the new newsgroup will do so
> with the knowledge that they will be receiving postings on a wide
> variety of topics.  The other BIOSCI/bionet newsgroups will continue
> to serve their *specialized* purposes, and we will request that
> discussions on specialized newsgroups that are "off the topic" be held
> instead on bionet.general.  Although these requests to shift to
> bionet.general will undoubtedly still greatly annoy some people, we
                                                                  ^^^^^
                                                              who is 'we' ?
> need to take such actions to avoid annoying the greater number of our
> readers who don't want to engage in flame wars or
> stream-of-consciousness discussions, but instead want to read messages
> about topics to which they have subscribed.

I had to read that twice (at least) to catch the idea. I am not in favour
of it. Despite the huge work implied, it is so complicated that the
'ordinary bench chemist' who usually doesn't deal with NEWS gets confused.
With respect to the recent discussion on the future f BIONEWS, is that
affair a reaction to a response from the money-spending agencies?

Again, I don't think that the newsgroups belong to an individual who
is authorized to do what he/she wants. This is by no means disregarding
the effort Dave and all the others have put into it but I doubt that
this is the right way of improving things. We always had to 'vote' for
a new newsgroup, and suddenly everything becomes changed just because
of one single decision?

> Happy Holidays to friend and foe alike; peace on earth, goodwill to
> persons.

Same to you all. I would like to see less war in the world of 1992.

Regards
Reinhard

    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            *     EAN     doelz at urz.unibas.ch
      Biocomputing                *     DECNET  20579::48130::doelz
Biozentrum der Universitaet       *     X25     psi%022846211142::embnet
   Klingelbergstrasse 70          *     FAX     x41 61 261- 6760
     CH 4056 Basel                *     TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247