Fouling

Brian Jones jbj at frc.maf.govt.nz
Mon Dec 23 19:15:42 EST 1991

I am trying to locate references to dispersal of shellfish species, as
fouling organisms on ships. Here in New Zealand, the Pacific Oyster
Crassostrea gigas arrived from Japan, via shipping.

I am particularly interested in movements from Australasia to the
eastern US seabord, as there must have been a movement of naval and
naval auxiliary vessels back to the US after WWII. Many of those vessels
would have spent extended time in the south west Pacific, and I suspect
would have been laid up without further work.

Does anyone know
     1) if navy vessels were brought back without cleaning?

     2) references to movements of shellfish by shipping. (I have
Carlton, J.T. 1987 Patterns of transoceanic marine biological invasions
in the Pacific Ocean. Bull. Mar. Sci. 41(2):452-465.

Merry Christmas,

Brian Jones.   (jbj at frc.maf.govt.nz)