Sophomoric bio question

mitchkf at esvax.dnet.dupont.com mitchkf at esvax.dnet.dupont.com
Tue Dec 10 11:22:55 EST 1991

	I find nothing offensive about the question, in fact, it is
rather fascinating.  Many questions spring to mind: is the average
cycle the same length as the lunar cycle, and if so, why?  It makes
sense that the cycles are driven by pheromones, and so on, but why 28
days?  We have theories as to why the lunar cycles are what they are
involving the relative masses and distances of the bodies but I can't
think how this could possibly be related to the menstrual cycles of
women.  What about other animal species?  Many do not menstruate but
they do ovulate, which, I imagine, is part of the cyclic process.  Is
cycle time related to the size or life span of the species?  Many
animals are seasonal breeders, we are not, why?  Seasonal breeding
could be slaved to the seasonal light cycles in some way but could
also be related to seasonal changes in nutrition.  Many questions
but few answers (at least from me).  It is a fine question and made
me realize that I don't know much about a topic that affects all
human beings.
-Ken Mitchell