Codon usage tables available

J. Michael Cherry Cherry at Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU
Mon Feb 18 20:14:38 EST 1991

In article <1991Feb17.203115.7949 at>
gilbertd at (Don Gilbert) writes:
> Mike Cherry (cherry at has produced a set of
> codon usage tables for 50 different species from Genbank release
> 63, which he as generously made publicly available.  These tables
> are useable directly with the GCG software programs which ask for
> codon tables.

You can retrieve these codon usage tables for all the major species
reported in GenBank directly from my machine via anonymous ftp: (IP number Look in the [.codon]
directory, the file lists which files go with which species.

I'll be updating these codon usage tables in a month or two, probably
after GenBank release 67.

I use the features table to get the coding regions then check that each
coding region doesn't have more than one stop codon. From these extracted
exons I manually eliminate all redundant entries and any sequence that is
not wild type. This means I remove mutant genes, pseudogenes, viral and
transposon sequences and those that are questionable. Then I remove all
but one copy per type of things like immunoglobulins.

Mike Cherry
cherry at
Department of Molecular Biology
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
(a Macintosh news reader user, this message comes from HyperCard NetNews)