News software (was Re: DNA and Protein Sequencing Workshop)

Rick Westerman westerm at aclcb.purdue.edu
Fri Feb 15 13:51:44 EST 1991

In article <1991Feb15.000728.26425 at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, gilbertd at cricket.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) writes:
>Just some 2 cents on the subject of newsreaders for VMS. I missed the
>original post.  We have ANU-NEWs (an old version) running on Iubio.
>We get an NNTP feed{from a local Unix newsbox, and need to store only
>bionet groups as read.

(note: the following only applies to VAX/VMS sites)

Just to prove that Indiana U. and Purdue U. never agree on anything :-) ...

We use the NEWSRDR nntp client news reading software to read news that
is stored on a UNIX computer. The software is very good, reliable, small,
fast, supported and, IMHO, much better than the ANU-NEWS software (which
I tried out a couple of years ago). NEWSRDR is available via anonymous
FTP from:

    vms.ecs.rpi.edu

While I'm at it, I also recommend the MX mailing software from the same
place. I like it a lot better the PMDF.

-- Rick

Rick Westerman                System Manager of the AIDS Center Laboratory
westerm at aclcb.purdue.edu      for Computational Biochemistry (ACLCB), BCHM
(317) 494-0505                bldg., Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN 47907

                    Is Superman solar-powered?