And in the End...

JOHN NASH NUM208JN at NRCCAD.NRC.CA
Wed Feb 6 09:01:05 EST 1991

In a recent message, dan davison writes:

---
......... The problems caused there (probably because of Behind
Its Time NET/LISTSERV protocols) are NOT worth any nebulous benefits
of "automatic confusion" -- oh, sorry -- "automatic subscription".

Yes, Internet mailers will occasionally go into loops -- this weekend
was not bad at all, as far as mailer blowups go -- but as many have
noted here over the past couple of years, the "simplifying" via
IRLEARN has generally been more consistently problematic, with little
*visible* benefit.  The monthly "updates" proposed by Steve Clark
would have perhaps changed this perception.

BIOSCI maintainers, it's NOT the occasional mess-up...it's the
consistent ones that cause the perception, rightly or wrongly, of
major problems.
---

Well, at least we didn't get dozens of complaints landing back on our laps as
bounced messages.  At the moment the C programmers' list  (C-L at UIUCVMD) has
gone completely nuts, and even the complaints are bouncing (38 this morning and
still counting!).

I suppose the moral of this post is to suggest that if you do get bounced mail,
please don't complain about it to the originating LIST, as it adds to the
confusion.  Just patiently do a "dir" and block delete the messages.

cheers,
John Nash.   <bitnet: NUM208JN at NRCCAD>