News software (was Re: DNA and Protein Sequencing Workshop)

Don Gilbert gilbertd at cricket.bio.indiana.edu
Thu Feb 14 19:07:28 EST 1991

Just some 2 cents on the subject of newsreaders for VMS. I missed the
original post.  We have ANU-NEWs (an old version) running on Iubio.
We get an NNTP feed{from a local Unix newsbox, and need to store only
bionet groups as read.  The disk space used by this is about 5 megabytes
including ANU-NEWs software.  I don't keep up with the current capabilities
of ANU-NEWS, but it likely can be configured to serve out news to other
vaxes (and personal computers?) via NNTP protocols.  You can get some
more, somewhat old info on this via anonymous ftp to iubio.bio.indiana.edu,
cd [archive.util.vms.netnews], get 00news-help.text.
-- Don

Don Gilbert                                     gilbert at bio.indiana.edu