GENBANK TRANSACTION PROTOCOL" AUTHORIN VAX/VMS

tony at wehi.dn.mu.oz.au tony at wehi.dn.mu.oz.au
Wed Jul 17 07:30:50 EST 1991

In article <9107120730.AA19841 at genbank.bio.net>, Boehringer at mips.mpg.dbp.de (Boehringer) writes:

> THERE IS A FORMAT "GENBANK TRANSACTION
> PROTOCOL" ALSO THERE IS A PC AND A MAC
> PROGRAM WHICH SUPORT THIS PROTOCOL
> NAMED AUTHORIN. IS THERE ANY SITE
> WHICH HAS SUCH A PROGRAM ON A VAX/VMS
> SYSTEM?

	This message and a few others following it have started a discussion on
the subject of a VMS version of AUTHORIN.

	We have a Pascal program (with a few FORTRAN and C bits), as part of a
sequence analysis user interface that we run under VMS here at WEHI, that was
developed a number of years ago before AUTHORIN emerged. It is based on the
GenBank/EMBL submission form that has been around for a few years. The form
is broken up ino a number of SMG screens, and the user is taken through the
screens and can use screen editors to fill the fields of the form in. Once
completed, the program produces a ASCII file that matches the original
submission form as much as possible. (This is the version of the form
tha existed a few years ago. If I remember the current form has a few minor
changes - we do plan to update it!!!). You can set Internet mail addresses for
GenBank, EMBL, NBRF, JIPID into a data file and details about your institution.
The programs fills these into the form and automatically emails the completed
form to the database of your choice.

	Users here at WEHI, and a number of other institutions and universities
that use this site for their analysis have been using it for years. Unless I am
mistaken, we have not received any reports from the various database collators
to desist as the data is in a format that causes them difficulties.

	If there is interest, I will try to get time to cut this module from our
system, and make it a standalone program and make it available for
anonymous ftp access. This might take a week or two. OR would the database
collators prefer that I did not complicate matters???

	With the arrival of AUTHORIN we thought our program might die a death,
however it is still the preferred method of submission around here. A problem
with AUTHORIN is that for a detached PC or Mac, the user has
to arrange to post the floppy and they find that a drag, or they use the fact
that they have to upload to a network connected machine to mail it on. For
IP/DECnet connected Macs and PCs, this is not a problem - it is resticted to
those who are a modem or RS232 connected to Internet machines. Also, the
sequence is on the VMS or a networked Unix system in the first place.

				Regards Tony Kyne
Dr. Tony Kyne, Head, Computer Sciences Unit,
               The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
               P.O. Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, 3050, Australia.
Phone: International +61-3-345-2586   FAX: International +61-3-347-0852
            National 03-345-2586                    National 03-347-0852
Email: Internet: tony at wehi.edu.au     OR   tony at wehi.dn.mu.oz.au
        PSIMAIL: PSI%0505233430002::tony