Oral suppression of autoimmune response

Chuck Henkel henkel%nepjt at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
Sun Jun 30 15:03:02 EST 1991

Is anyone here familiar with recent work involving the suppression of
autoimmune disorders by the ingestion of the protein antigens
responsible for the immune response? (Cf. Science, 5apr91, p27).

I'd like some pointers to recent research in the area, especially as
it relates to the treatment of multiple sclerosis.

Also, in the case of MS, the autoimmune response is directed against
myelin basic protein. An oral antigen therapy would have the MS
patient consume myelin in order to invoke the immune suppression.
Now, can someone tell me to what extent myelin is destroyed by
cooking?

--
| Chuck Henkel                      | There are currently 111 operating      |
| Department of Nuclear Engineering | nuclear power plants in the US,        |