what is to be done about mail distribution?

J. Michael Cherry Cherry at Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU
Mon May 6 22:07:59 EST 1991

In article <1991May04.150327.1114 at crom2.uucp> jim at crom2.uucp (James P. H.
Fuller) writes:
> changeover but rather a switch at some future time that would be
> announced far enough in advance to give the most laggardly subscribers
> plenty of time to prepare.  Three months?  Six months?  A year?  Surely
> we can agree that the ones who haven't got netnews running after a year's
> warning are the ones who aren't going to do it at all.

Mailing lists are not the problem. A LISTSERV may be the problem. Why
force anyone to change? If you can't make your mailing lists work then why
not fix the mailing list. There are many many solutions other than
applying your one track solution. Freedom of Use should be up there with
Freedom of Speak. We don't need Unix, Usenet, VMS, DOS, Macintosh, NeXT,
Next, Sun or any other form of bigotry (ie. narrow mindedness) over
computer use. It can all work with out much effort, the little extra
effort makes for a much more robust system.

In case its not obvious. This is my opinion. The Administration of Mass.
General Hospital has probably never heard of Usenet and may not even know
we are a class B network of the Internet.

Mike Cherry
cherry at frodo.mgh.harvard.edu
Department of Molecular Biology
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston