Is there a bionet archive??

Fri May 31 23:58:40 EST 1991

> I would like to know is if there exists an archive of the past discussions
> of this and the other bionet groups which can be searched via short
> text strings?  Also is there an FTP site or bitnet server which maintains
> these archives?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
>  Michael D. Yablonsky                   internet: yablonsky at mbcl.rutgers.edu
>  at&tnet: (908) 932-3052                bitnet: yablonsky at biovax
>  Waksman Institute
>  Rutgers University                     A good planet is hard to find!
>  Piscataway, NJ, 08854-0759

Michael,

	I've been out of the office last week and am still digging
out, so sorry if my response is a bit tardy on this.  Currently the
only archive accessible remotely by e-mail is at IRLEARN.  I include
info on accessing this below.  Rob Harper's excellent BIOBIT article
explains how to do keyword searches with LISTSERV although this may be
a bit more involved than some people might like to deal with.

	GenBank has old BIOSCI messages stored in its USENET system
(the bionet groups are not expired here).  If you get a newsfeed from
us and do not expire your local bionet groups, it is possible to
maintain a local archive in USENET software (bionet doesn't consume
that much disk space).  However, to read them on our machine, you need
an account.  The BIO-JOURNALS TOC's are also available for FTP from
genbank.bio.net in pub/BIOSCI/BIO-JOURNALS.  I intend to put up other
archives for FTP and investigate other mechanisms for providing easier
access to back issues at GenBank.

	I should probably let you know that currently my level of
effort on BIOSCI is limited to about 25% which has delayed much of
this, but when the current GenBank contract expires (9/30/92) I hope
to be able to significantly increase the BIOSCI work and further
expand the services offerred on the network.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at genbank.bio.net