Database Typos

POSTMAST at NBRF.BITNET POSTMAST at NBRF.BITNET
Fri Nov 1 12:22:00 EST 1991

Dear Mr. Robison,

Thank you for promptly sending us, on 29 October, a list of 82 possibly
misspelled words in Title or Keyword fields of the 31,893 entries in release
29.0 of the PIR-International Protein Sequence Database.  We appreciate the
effort you took to find these problems and bring them to our attention.

We have been able to determine that of those 82 terms:
  19 were correct as they appeared,
  18 had been corrected prior to Release 30.0,
   4 were author's neologisms or spellings that are under review,
  40 were misspellings in the Title field,
   1 was a misspelling in the Keyword field.
Of the 40 misspellings in Title field, there were 57 affected entries:
   9 were in the PIR2 section,
  48 were in the PIR3 section.

Although the PIR3 section is labelled "unverified", we do test the organism and
enzyme names against standard lists.  However, for the sake of rapid release of
the data, some entries have not been tested at the time of each release. One of
the misspellings you detected is actually a misspelling in the Enzyme
Nomenclature book ("marcescans" in EC listing 3.1.30.2) that was carried over
into our titles. (We would appreciate having an e-mail address for someone who
receives suggestions on behalf of the Enzyme Nomenclature Commission.)

The 4 terms under review are:
  biliprotein
  prolamin
  prolamine
  readthrough
We would appreciate receiving comments on the acceptability of these words or
spellings in the PIR-International Protein Sequence Database.
                                 Dr. Winona Barker, Director
                                 Dr. John S. Garavelli, Database Coordinator
                                 Protein Identification Resource
                                 National Biomedical Research Foundation
                                 Washington, DC  20007
                                 POSTMASTER at GUNBRF.BITNET