Islating Telomerase

whaddara at kean.ucs.mun.ca whaddara at kean.ucs.mun.ca
Wed Nov 13 10:55:12 EST 1991

	Hello, everyone
	I was thinking about Telomerase the other day ( becase of an
essay I have to write for one of my courses), and I was basically
thinking of a way to isolate it. Since Telomerase is expressed in HeLa
cells and 293 cells, but not in human somatic cells I was thinking
that maybe you can do a 2-dimensional gel electrophoresis of the
protein extracted from the cells, and then try to add an RNA oligo
which corresponds to the portion of the human RNA component of
telomerase that we know ( TTGGGG ?). Since the RNA is associated with
the protein in vivo it might bind to it on a gel. Thus if you label
the oligo, you might be able to identify the protein blot ??
	Does anyone know if something like this would work ? Excuse my
ignoranc if this turns out to be too simplistic or naive :-)

					Wael Haddara