Proposal for bionet.molbio.hiv newsgroup

Mon Oct 7 14:44:27 EST 1991

We have received the following proposal for the establishment of a
newsgroup dealing with the molecular biology (not clinical aspects) of
HIV.  The newsgroup would be unmoderated but the author of the
proposal below has volunteered to help it get started.  According to
BIOSCI regulations I am putting it out to a vote of our readers.
To be established, we must receive at least 40 "yes" votes by 6
December 1991.  PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS NEWSGROUP.  Send your
vote to one of the following addresses:

Address                               Location        Network
-------                               --------        -------
biovote at irlearn.ucd.ie                Ireland         EARN/BITNET
biovote at uk.ac.daresbury               U.K.            JANET
biovote at bmc.uu.se                     Sweden          Internet
biovote at genbank.bio.net               U.S.A.          Internet/BITNET

All that is needed in your mail message is one line saying

			      YES ON HIV

I should also add that we would not distribute data on a discussion
group even though this is suggested below.  If such a data
distribution is desired by the Myers group at LANL, we would probably
set up a separate USENET newsgroup, e.g., bionet.molbio.hiv.sequences.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at genbank.bio.net

Proposal for the establishment of bionet.molbio.hiv:

I would like to propose the establishment of a newsgroup under
bionet.molbio for the discussion and information sharing of topics
concerning the research on the Human Immunodeficiency Viruses, mainly
dealing with concepts of molecular biology. Considering the enormous
amount of research going on in this field i think that the newsgroup
would be useful and receiwe many postings.

It should be pointed out that this newsgroup should really deal only
with matters of molecular biology rather than clinical questions.
There are other forums better suited for the exchange of clinical
information, and i'm afraid that those questions would flood the group
and blur the big picture.

What i am really thinking of is a way of distributing information on
questions such as different HIV-recombinant constructions, the
availability of strains, info on PCR-primers and amplification
procedures and so on. The group would also be an exellent medium for
the G.Myers group at Los Alamos to tell the HIV scientific community
about the availability of new data. The other way around, it would be
nice if new HIV sequence data could mentioned on the group as it would
be sent to Los Alamos somewhat in the same way as
molbio.genbank.updates works.

The group could also function as a discussion forum for theoretical
questions dealing both with the function of the HIV virus and ideas on
how it could be stopped. All HIV researchers are aware of the problems
inwolved and would certainly appreciate comments from the rest of the
molbio reseach community.

Comments about this proposal and the organisation of bionet.molbio.hiv
are appreciated and should be replied to the group where this posting
appears NOT TO ME PERSONALLY!!!

	Yours,

		Mika Salminen, M.Sc.
		National Institute of Public Health