DNA MESSAGES, APOLOGY

Cliff Pickover cliff at WATSON.IBM.COM
Fri Oct 18 12:57:22 EST 1991

DNA MESSAGES

A note of apology

Professor Laura Hoopes notified me that she did not find my query about
the messages coded in the DNA sequences appropriate.  My intent was only
to learn more about information theory and how one might code messages
using 4 nucleic acid bases for the basis of an article I was writing.
The information that Laura considered inappropriate for me to post came
from OMNI magazine and it regarded the DNA messages that coded for a
particular image that Harvard geneticist Dana Boyd created.

I am so sorry if I reported on something that was offensive.  I planned
to discuss this in an article I'm writing, but Laura's note has reminded
me that I should be more sensitive and therefore omit the detail that
may be offensive to readers.

Cliff