The 10 Mathematical Formulas that Changed the Face of the World

Cliff Pickover cliff at WATSON.IBM.COM
Wed Oct 16 13:56:42 EST 1991

THE 10 MATHEMATICAL FORMULAS THAT CHANGED THE FACE OF THE WORLD

(I've asked a number of mathematicians/physicists this question, but
for completeness, I thought I would pose this to a biological
audience as well.  Thanks, Cliff)

A few years ago, Nicaragua issued ten postage stamps bearing "Las 10
Formulas Matematicas Que Cambiaron La Faz De La Terra" (The 10
mathematical formulas that changed the face of the world).

I'm conducting an informal survey on what you feel are the 10 most
important and influential mathematical formulas.

Rather than clutter this bulletin board, why not send me your top ten
list, and I will post the results after I have compiled them.  Also send
me your name, affiliation, country or state, and also an explanation of
your equation (in case I can't figure out what you intended).  Feel free
to send me any comments as well.

I would prefer if you did not post the 10 formulas on the Nicaragua
stamps yet, as it may bias responders.
Please list your 10 equations, in order of importance.

Thanks, Cliff       Cliff at watson.ibm.com

====================================

WHO ARE THE TEN MOST INFLUENTIAL MATHEMATICIANS IN HISTORY?

A few years ago, I published a paper titled "Who are the ten most
influential mathematicians in history?"  I ranked the scientists, in
order, from 1 to 10.  I'd now like to conduct an informal survey
focussing on mathematicians.

Of the thousands of famous and important mathematicians who have
influenced the course of human history, which mathematicians have most
influenced our lives and our thoughts?  Please rank the mathematicians
from 1 to 10, in order of influence.

Rather than clutter this bulletin board, why not send me your top ten
list, and I will post the results and ranking after I have compiled
them.   Please include your name, affiliation, country or state -- and
feel free to send any comments.

Thanks, Cliff     Cliff @ watson.ibm.com