A cynic's review of WAIS

David Steffen steffen at mbir.bcm.tmc.edu
Wed Oct 2 15:24:21 EST 1991

              A Cynic's Review of WAIS

*                 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY                        *
*                                                          *
*   As Rob Harper has said, WAIS is a nifty way of         *
* searching remote databases, and may well represent the   *
* wave of the future.  However, my experiences with        *
* WAIStation 0.6.2 for the Mac suggest that this           *
* program/system/whatever may not yet be ready for the     *
* working biologist.                                       *
*   If you have a remote database that you positively must *
* search, which is accessible in no other way, or if you   *
* just like to play with new toys, go ahead and jump in    *
* now; but be prepared for some work and frustration.      *
* Otherwise, leave it to the computer pioneers to get      *
* things going before jumping aboard.                      *

I am posting a LONG review of my experiences with WAIStation for the
Mac 0.6.2 on bionet.software.  This is the abstract.
--
David Steffen
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX 77030
Internet = steffen at mbir.bcm.tmc.edu