tobacco repeats ?

suter at VAX.MPIZ-KOELN.MPG.DBP.DE suter at VAX.MPIZ-KOELN.MPG.DBP.DE
Tue Oct 8 13:25:45 EST 1991

dear netters

some time ago i carried out a southern
of tobacco genomic dna. total dna was digetsed with Eco RI and
analyzed on a 0.8 % agarose gel.
I noticed the presence (after etbr staining) of a ladder of
fragments, very regularly spaced (something like 150 bp,
250, 300, 450, 600, 750, 1000 bp, all the way up to 3000 bp).
this ladder is superimposed on the regular smear that i would
expect. the intensity of these bands gets weaker towards the
higher molecular weight.
after blotting of this gel, and probing with a clone that i have,
these same signals light up in the same way ---> bingo, i have
probably cloned something repetitive was my first idea.

my question to you is: do you know of any repetitive sequences that
behave this way in tobacco (EcoRI digest). Or could you give me a
hint how to get more info on this phenomenon ? Did you ever notice
the same with this organism or with another ?

naturally i will sequence this clone this week, but still, i would like
to get as much info as this as possible. Also, it could be that
this clone is somehow associated with the 18 s rna of tobacco. does
any body have the sequence of that rna ?????

thanx,

Dr. Clemens