GenBank Errors

CLARK at GALEN.OCI.UTORONTO.CA CLARK at GALEN.OCI.UTORONTO.CA
Wed Oct 16 17:09:57 EST 1991

/GenBank is:
/
/  INCONSISTENT
/  REDUNDANT
/  FULL OF ERRORS
/
/With an exponential growth, this is only going to get worse.  PLEASE if you
/know of errors REPORT THEM ON THE NET FROM NOW ON so we can all see how bad the
/situation is.

	I agree, but I don't think it's fair to blame IG for all the
problems. IMHO, the database is mush better than it was when BBN was
handling things. I have always assumed that GenBank fixed the errors when
they became aware of them, but that most people don't report errors that
they find. I know I never have. I don't think reporting the errors to the
newsgroup as a general practice is a good idea. It would either emphasize the
general apathy of biologists towards the quality of the database, or swamp
us, possibly resulting in a flood of "SIGNOFF" messages to this list.

Stephen Clark

clark at galen.oci.utoronto.ca   (Internet)
clark at utoroci                 (Netnorth/Bitnet)

"For what it is worth, many of the legends accompanying figures in this journal
are not very different, although we take some care to provide each sentence
with a verb if the author has overlooked the need for one." -J.Maddox, Nature.