Bucky stability

Dan Davison Davison at UH.EDU
Thu Oct 24 22:12:28 EST 1991

KROEKER,MARTIN said:
> +>  Sorry, no they're not. They are stable at room temperature and below,
> +>  and up to 1000C under certain conditions. Fullerenes dissolve in a
> +>  wide range of solvents and can be coerced into water with the usual
> +>  biochemical tricks. I've been using them for several weeks and in my
> +>  hands at least are stable for several months dried or in toluene.

> As I recall from the literature, fullerenes are stable to air but by
> no means chemically inert.

I didn't mean to claim that they were inert; if you boil them in
toluene you get methylbuckies.  But the post I was responding to said
that they were "unstable"; while definitions of "unstable" vary, they
are not evanscent.

> Metal-containing fullerenes so far reported seem to carry the metal on the
> outside (inclusion compounds have been formed with helium), and the high-Tc

All I can say about this is watch the literature...

dan

Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77204-5934/davison at uh.edu/DAVISON at UHOU

"If the choice had to be made between saving the lives of lawyers or saving
whales, there is little doubt that the overwhelming majority of Americans
would come down on the side of the whales" Justice Wallach, NY Times 4/3/91

myself.