Bucky (was : Re: re: DNA BALLS)

KROEKER,MARTIN DB7P at br2.hrz.th-darmstadt.de
Thu Oct 24 14:09:52 EST 1991

In <199110231751.AA25956 at Menudo.UH.EDU> Davison at UH.EDU writes:

+>
+>  Sorry, no they're not. They are stable at room temperature and below,
+>  and up to 1000C under certain conditions. Fullerenes dissolve in a
+>  wide range of solvents and can be coerced into water with the usual
+>  biochemical tricks. I've been using them for several weeks and in my
+>  hands at least are stable for several months dried or in toluene.
+>
+>  The substituted (metal-containing) ones I can't comment on, I haven't
+>  tried any.
+>
+>  dan
+>

As I recall from the literature, fullerenes are stable to air but by no means
chemically inert. At least one researcher reported generation of singlet oxygen
in a reaction involving C60. This and its reported instability to UV light seem
to preclude use of fullerens at least for biological/medical purposes.
Researchers have been warned to take precautions against inhalation of these
compounds as long as their (bio-)chemical properties are unknown.
Metal-containing fullerenes so far reported seem to carry the metal on the
outside (inclusion compounds have been formed with helium), and the high-Tc
potassium-doped fullerites behave just like finely disperse potassium - they
burn immediately in air.

May I pose a "hypothetical question" myself ?
Does anybody know a natural compound that contains a linear polyether chain
just like the crown ethers ? The polyether antibiotics I know all contain
cyclic (tetrahydrofurane or -pyrane) ethers.

Best regards, Martin

Martin Kroeker , Dept. of Organic Chemistry, Univ. of Darmstadt, Germany