GenBank & Bacillus

deustachio at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu deustachio at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu
Fri Oct 25 15:53:31 EST 1991

I didn't think of myself as a curmudgeon, or as ignorant of basic biology,
but the recent discussion of 'GenBank errors' is starting to change my mind.

Could someone please tell me what conceivable biological information could be
gained by thinking about the differences between the collections of entries
retrieved by the searches 'Bacillus_subtilis', 'Bacillus AND subtilis', and
'Bacillus OR subtilis'?  Or am I cramping someone's exercise of his God-given
intellectual freedom to suggest that this is a remarkably stupid waste of a
supercomputer?