Loss of BIONEWS, bio-software,...messages since mid-summer

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Thu Sep 19 12:25:14 EST 1991

> I seem to have quit receiving BIONEWS, biojournal, biosoftware, etc since
> early to mid-summer.  I was hoping it would somehow start up again, but
> since it hasn't, I am posting this message as a start toward solving the
> problem.
>
> The system manager here has assured me that everything is normal and setup
> properly.

Unfortunately I beg to differ.  I have restored and then had to
comment out the address bionews at fermat.mayo.edu for local Mayo
distribution numerous times because it causes problems very
frequently.  It is currently commented out of the mailing lists, but I
will restore it once again.

We currently do not have the resources to track down everyone on
BIOSCI who has a systems glitch.  I post this to alert all of our
readers to contact your local BIOSCI node (addresses below) in the
event you notice a discontinuation of BIOSCI messages.  This almost
always means that your address caused problems and was removed from
the mailing lists.  Everyone should also realize that these kinds of
situations would not occur if you had news software at your site
because the news software would automatically retrieve missed messages
for up to about a week by default prior to the interuption of service.

BIOSCI addresses used to report an interuption of service:

Address                               Location        Network
biosci at irlearn.ucd.ie                 Ireland         EARN/BITNET
biosci at uk.ac.daresbury                U.K.            JANET
biosci at bmc.uu.se                      Sweden          Internet
biosci at genbank.bio.net                U.S.A.          Internet/BITNET