what's in a cell ?

ebstokes at maxwell.crd.ge.com ebstokes at maxwell.crd.ge.com
Fri Sep 6 16:35:18 EST 1991

Greetings,
	I am a physicist working in the area of fiber optic
fluorescence sensors for biochemical process monitoring. Through the
literature, and through our work, it has become apparant to me that
there are a number of common constituents of bacterial cells which
fluoresce. In practice, however, it seems that culture fluorescence is
typically dominated by NADH (excitation at ~360 nm, emission at ~440
nm) and tryptophan (excitation at ~280 nm, emission at ~340 nm). The
surprising thing (to me anyway) about a typical culture fluorescence
is that the _only_ striking feature one usually sees can be explained
by NADH and/or tryptophan. I would seem that many other compounds
would fluoresce.
	I am interested in learning more about the mass fraction of
NADH, tryptophan, and other biological fluorophores (riboflavin,
pyrydoxine, ???) in specific types of cells (alcligenes eutrophus, for
example). Is this data compiled somewhere ?
	I would also be interested in swapping info with others in
this field. The field seems to me to be as much phenomenology and art
as quantitative science.
				Thanks
				Ed Stokes
				ebstokes at crd.ge.com