Result from querey on EC-names/numbers database

++ MBLRA at rose.uib.no
Wed Sep 11 13:00:26 EST 1991

I posted a question here yesterday asking for information on whether
EC-data (Enzyme Commission); names and EC-numbers are available
electronically. In case other people out there are interested in
the answers to my question, I report them here:

I got a hint from Graham W. Redgrave to search the LiMB-database
( [which is a database of mol.bio.-databases]
 which I obtained by FTP from genbank.bio.net) and found an
entry called: ENZYME - which apparently contained the information
I wanted.

Using ARCHIE, I found that ENZYME was available, by FTP, from
   genbank.bio.net          in the subdir: /pub/db/enzyme
Beware, - the file is some 760K !!!

ENZYME was assembled by Amos Bairoch, Geneva, and contains the entire
EC-catalogue including pointers to SwissProt!

What more can one ask for?! - I'm deeply impressed by the efficiacy
of our electronic tools!! - and the work done by Amos ...!

Rein Aasland

                                                    September 11. 1991
Rein Aasland                        | Tlf.: +47-5-544516
Center of Biotechnology             | Fax.: +47-5-314952
University of Bergen                | E-mail: aasland at cc.uib.no
HiB                                 |  (or  : mblra at nobergen.bitnet)
Norway                              | Street adress: Thormohlens gt 55