CALL YOUR SENATORS!!

Lynda Walters LWALTERS at UGA.BITNET
Wed Sep 11 21:13:01 EST 1991

I have just received a FAX from the NCFR office with information from
COSSA, the Consortium of Social Science Associations.   I assured Mary Jo
Czaplewski that I would get this message to the network tonight.

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT
EACH OF US CALL OUR SENATORS ON THURSDAY MORNING--Thursday, September 12.

Let me explain:

   Senator Helms has introduced an amendment to the Labor, HHS appropriations
bill that will delete the $3 million funding for the Survey of Health and AIDS
RISK Prevalence (SHARP) from the National Institute of Child Health and Human
Development (NICHD) and transfer it to the Adolescent Family Life Act (AFLA)
program (Title XX) at HHS.

   It is expected that Senator Moynihan (D-NY) will offer a preemptive amend-
ment that will allow federal funding for surveys of human sexual behavior if
they are approved by peer review, advisory panels, and the relevant research
institute director(s), and have some application to reducing teenage pregnancy,
reducing the incidence of STDs including AIDS, or some other health issue.

   The Moynihan amendment does not specifically address the Helms amendment,
but it is thought that giving senators a way to vote in support of research on
human sexual behavior (i.e., by qualifying that research as having to be
relevant to public health) will better enable them to oppose Helms.

  COSSA suggests the following:

1.  To support the Moynihan amendment as insurance that resarch on human
sexual behavior will be allowed to be conducted and supported by the federal
government if it has scientific merit and is related to public health issues;

2.  To oppose the Helms amendment as an inappropriate way to fund a program.
It makes no sense to "rob NIH to pay AFLA."  Also, the research programs of
NICHD and AFLA are not comparable.

  On the latter point, it is not necessary to oppose AFLA outright (i.e.,
to oppose Gorton's amendment).  Rather, we only need to make the point that
it is unreasonable to fund it in the say Helms suggests.

  If you have questions, Judy Auerbach at COSSA invites you to call her at
(202)842-3525.

IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT CALLS BE MADE BY NOON ON THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 12!!!!

This is an opportunity to do something positive for family science.  DO IT.

You will be interested to know that NCFR has already written to all senators
encouraging them to oppose any attempt on the Senate floor to prohibit the use
of federal funds for scientific research on human sexual behavior. In this
letter it was stressed that the NCFR is dedicated to research on problems
faced by children and families.