Anyone know about MD programs for PhDs?

Leslie A. Johnston-Dow ldow at apldbio.com
Thu Apr 30 18:11:36 EST 1992

From: kristoff at GENBANK.BIO.NET (Dave Kristofferson)
Newsgroups: bionet.general
Subject: Re: Anyone know about MD programs for PhDs?
Date: 29 Apr 92 02:14:48 GMT
Sender: kristoff at genbank.bio.net

	 Dave Kristofferson writes:
 	 >         I am not looking forward to having to teach, but it's probably
 	 > better than working for a private company and only being able to work on
 	 > what they think will make a profit. Thanks for the luck-wish.
 	 >         -Allen

	  I once thought like this too (except that I liked to teach).  This was
	   probably one of the biggest misconceptions I was ever afflicted with
	  (and there have been several 8-).  It's too bad that many advisors
	  seem to foster this attitude in their students.  I have

				  ****no regrets****

	  for having gone into industry and have enjoyed it thoroughly.  You
	might want to talk to more people in industry instead of believing
	what you are told by your fellow students (who probably don't know)
	and professors (who in some cases should know better!).

				Sincerely,

				David Kristofferson, Ph.D.
				GenBank Manager **at IntelliGenetics, Inc.**

				kristoff at genbank.bio.net

Here Here!!! I wholeheartedly second what Dave as very aptly (as usual) said!
I have worked for Applied Biosystems for 3+ years and havebeen quite satisfied
Industry has its own type of challenges. This is the kind of decision that everyone
has to make for themselves. I, for one, have worked on interesting projects that
I felt as much commitment to as any I had as an independant graduate student or
post-doc.

Sincerely,
Leslie Johnston-Dow, Ph.D.
Scientist, Diagnostics Division