Anyone know about MD programs for PhDs?

Allen Smith allens at yang.earlham.edu
Wed Apr 29 23:53:54 EST 1992

In article <Apr.28.21.11.23.1992.11379 at genbank.bio.net>, kristoff at genbank.bio.ne
   t (David Kristofferson) writes:
>>         I am not looking forward to having to teach, but it's probably
>> better than working for a private company and only being able to work on
>> what they think will make a profit.
>
> One last thought before I get off my soapbox and then I am off to the
> GenBank advisors meeting so I won't be able to rebutt any slings and
> arrows until next week:

        (I've sent a reply to the previous message by mail, BTW; feel free
to post it if you wish.)

>    The word "profit" often conjures up "unclean images" unfortunately.
>    How about rephrasing the sentence as follows:
>
>>        I am not looking forward to having to teach, but it's probably
>> better than working for a private company and only being able to work on
>> what they think will be useful to a large number of people.
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Sounds a little different now, doesn't it?!  Strangely enough, it is
> not easy to make a profit if what you have to sell isn't of any use to
> anyone 8-).  How about looking at profit as being a reward for
> contributing something **useful** to society??  In my not-so-humble
> opinion, there is a very useful and bracing discipline in having to
> sell your wares to the public.  In academics the counterpart is in
> applying for grants.  One might look at the receiving of grants as
> making a "profit" 8-).

        Useful to a large number of people who were willing to pay for it
might be a still more applicable way to put it. What is in demand in one
market (commercial companies) appears to be different than that which is
in demand in another (universities). The second demand appears to be more
what I am interested in. Of course, there's the question of whether
government should be in the business of paying for research in the first
place. I tend to say yes, but I'm biased; if I weren't interested in
science, my general Libertarianism might cause me to say otherwise.
        -Allen