Anyone know about MD programs for PhDs?

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Tue Apr 28 23:11:23 EST 1992

>         I am not looking forward to having to teach, but it's probably
> better than working for a private company and only being able to work on
> what they think will make a profit.

One last thought before I get off my soapbox and then I am off to the
GenBank advisors meeting so I won't be able to rebutt any slings and
arrows until next week:

   The word "profit" often conjures up "unclean images" unfortunately.
   How about rephrasing the sentence as follows:

>        I am not looking forward to having to teach, but it's probably
> better than working for a private company and only being able to work on
> what they think will be useful to a large number of people.

Sounds a little different now, doesn't it?!  Strangely enough, it is
not easy to make a profit if what you have to sell isn't of any use to
anyone 8-).  How about looking at profit as being a reward for
contributing something **useful** to society??  In my not-so-humble
opinion, there is a very useful and bracing discipline in having to
sell your wares to the public.  In academics the counterpart is in
applying for grants.  One might look at the receiving of grants as
making a "profit" 8-).

Dave Kristofferson