Anyone know about MD programs for PhDs?

Allen Smith allens at yang.earlham.edu
Mon Apr 27 12:48:40 EST 1992

In article <1992Apr25.184600.25166 at bcnews.bc.edu>, grant at darkstar (Grant W. Balk
   ema) writes:
> I (Allen Smith) write:
>>In article <1992Apr23.193506.25127 at casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, gupta at casbah.acns.nwu
   .e
>>   du (Dhanesh Gupta) writes:
>>>       I am wondering what the motivation is for a PhD to go to
>>> medical school... if it is to obtain an MD in order to practice
>>> medicine there is only one route-- go through the normal medical
>>> school training and then a residency and possibly a fellowship in
>>> your selected speciality.  If it is to put more letters behind
>>> your name... why bother-- an MD is not necessary in order to do
>>> biomedical research, although a RESEARCH fellowship would be
>>> helpful, if not necessary.
>>>
>>        There is the motivation that it's easier (I've been told) to do
>>work with humans if one has an MD. Otherwise, most agencies will insist on
>>having an MD on the team. I've considered doing a MD/PhD (most of the grad
>>schools I'm looking at are med-school-associated anyway) for that reason,
>>but I couldn't handle the patient care aspect (last 2 years of med school).
>
> It all depends...If you have a MD/PhD it will somewhat lock you out
> of faculty positions at straight Universities.  Having served on
> three search committees over the past three years, an individual with
> a MD or MD/PhD is not considered in the same pot as the Ph.D.s.
> I don't know of any MD's in Biology/Molecular Biology/Biochemistry
> Departments (although I certainly can't say that this is totally so-it
> does seem to be the rule). All Universities with extra-mural support
> have to have a Human Subjects committee and approval from said committee
> is sufficient for all non-invasive procedures. Vital samples can usually
> be arranged either via with a colleague or through a University Health
> Services.  It really depends on what you want to do with your life.
> The vast majority of Universities expect some teaching for that hard
> money support and for reasons that are unclear to me MDs or MD/Ph.D. are`
> not thought to fit the bill. The reason I say its unclear to me is that
> most Asst. Profs. are usually thrown into a course without any training
> in teaching--that first course or two--whew.
> Good luck...grant balkema       grant at darkstar.bc.edu

        That's interesting. I had heard that MD/PhDs tended to be in the
top posts. Admittedly, my information sources (mainly MDs, such as my
father) may be biased. The procedures I'm interested in doing (gene
therapy) are far from being non-invasive.
        I am not looking forward to having to teach, but it's probably
better than working for a private company and only being able to work on
what they think will make a profit. Thanks for the luck-wish.
        -Allen