Anyone know about MD programs for PhDs?

Grant W. Balkema grant at darkstar
Sat Apr 25 13:46:00 EST 1992

In article <1992Apr24.170253.17193 at yang.earlham.edu> allens at yang.earlham.edu (Allen Smith) writes:
>In article <1992Apr23.193506.25127 at casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, gupta at casbah.acns.nwu.e
>   du (Dhanesh Gupta) writes:
>>       I am wondering what the motivation is for a PhD to go to
>> medical school... if it is to obtain an MD in order to practice
>> medicine there is only one route-- go through the normal medical
>> school training and then a residency and possibly a fellowship in
>> your selected speciality.  If it is to put more letters behind
>> your name... why bother-- an MD is not necessary in order to do
>> biomedical research, although a RESEARCH fellowship would be
>> helpful, if not necessary.
>>

>        There is the motivation that it's easier (I've been told) to do
>work with humans if one has an MD. Otherwise, most agencies will insist on
>having an MD on the team. I've considered doing a MD/PhD (most of the grad
>schools I'm looking at are med-school-associated anyway) for that reason,
>but I couldn't handle the patient care aspect (last 2 years of med school).
>        -Allen

It all depends...If you have a MD/PhD it will somewhat lock you out
of faculty positions at straight Universities.  Having served on
three search committees over the past three years, an individual with
a MD or MD/PhD is not considered in the same pot as the Ph.D.s.
I don't know of any MD's in Biology/Molecular Biology/Biochemistry
Departments (although I certainly can't say that this is totally so-it
does seem to be the rule). All Universities with extra-mural support
have to have a Human Subjects committee and approval from said committee
is sufficient for all non-invasive procedures. Vital samples can usually
be arranged either via with a colleague or through a University Health
Services.  It really depends on what you want to do with your life.
The vast majority of Universities expect some teaching for that hard
money support and for reasons that are unclear to me MDs or MD/Ph.D. are`
not thought to fit the bill. The reason I say its unclear to me is that
most Asst. Profs. are usually thrown into a course without any training
in teaching--that first course or two--whew.
Good luck...grant balkema       grant at darkstar.bc.edu