Anyone know about MD programs for PhDs?

Allen Smith allens at yang.earlham.edu
Fri Apr 24 17:02:53 EST 1992

In article <1992Apr23.193506.25127 at casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, gupta at casbah.acns.nwu.e
   du (Dhanesh Gupta) writes:
>       I am wondering what the motivation is for a PhD to go to
> medical school... if it is to obtain an MD in order to practice
> medicine there is only one route-- go through the normal medical
> school training and then a residency and possibly a fellowship in
> your selected speciality.  If it is to put more letters behind
> your name... why bother-- an MD is not necessary in order to do
> biomedical research, although a RESEARCH fellowship would be
> helpful, if not necessary.

        There is the motivation that it's easier (I've been told) to do
work with humans if one has an MD. Otherwise, most agencies will insist on
having an MD on the team. I've considered doing a MD/PhD (most of the grad
schools I'm looking at are med-school-associated anyway) for that reason,
but I couldn't handle the patient care aspect (last 2 years of med school).
        -Allen