RFD for New IMAGE PROCESSING newsgroup

Jim Barrett jrb2p at argonaut.med.Virginia.EDU
Wed Apr 22 16:11:18 EST 1992

In article <1992Apr22.170155.8549 at doc.ic.ac.uk>, ajt at doc.ic.ac.uk (Tony
Travis) writes

|> In contrast to this, image analysis means that an image is analysed
in
|> order to extract features such as the size, shape and location of
|> objects in the field of view.  A first step in analysing an image
may
|> well involve image processing (eg. to remove noise) but the activity
|> most of us are interested in is image analysis isn't it?
|>
|> 	Tony
|>
|> --
|>     Tony Travis <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>  | Dr. A.J.Travis
|>                                       | Rowett Research Institute,
|>                                       | Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,
Aberdeen,
|>                                       | AB2 9SB. UK. tel 0224-712751

Yes this is a good point. Analysis seems a better name for this group.

While I am posting, I'd like to ask about something that has bothered
me.
Some of the things I am particularly interested in are 3D reconstruction
and display. I recall in earlier discussions of this groups' charter
that animation and shading were specifically excluded. I feel that
there are many aspects of, e.g., shading that are more relevant
to my imaging application (medical imaging) than to, say
comp.graphics.That is, shouldn't shading and animation should be
_included_ in the charter?
--
James R. Barrett	University of Virginia
jrb2p at Virginia.EDU	Box 377, Biomedical Engineering, School of Medicine