Animal Rights Activists on Usenet-Call to arms

Michael Holloway mhollowa at csws16.ic.sunysb.edu
Sun Apr 19 19:02:35 EST 1992

ATTENTION NETTER RESEARCHERS:

	If you know the difference between animal welfare and animal rights
and have been incensed (and maybe a little frighten) by the successes of
radical animal rights extremists, now you have a chance to do something about
it.  Call up talk.politics.animals on Usenet and shine some light into the
darkness.  People who are simply curious, and ripe for being confused by
antiscience propaganda, are reading this newsgroup for information on the
"debate on animal rights".  What they get are the strange and twisted
imaginings of PETA and ALF.
	Remember: PETA isn't "entitled" to their own part of Usenet.  Every
biologist who knows what to do with Internet newsgroups has every right, and
I would say an obligation, to do what they can to make sure that the public
misconceptions about the use of animals in research doesn't get any worse.  I
think it would be wonderful if everyone who posts to bionet also posted to
talk.politics.animals on a regular basis.  If you've been living with your
head in the ground the last few years and still think that "animal rights"
is some kind of esoteric, scholarly and polite debate then you have no idea
just how bad things have become.
	Below this you'll find a typical article in talk.politics.animals.
Unless you're used to being called names and generally insulted you might not
want to respond to some of the broadsides that you'll get from the advocates.
Their tactics consist of spreading fanciful distortions and baiting
researchers to "debate" them.  If you have no tolerance for that sort of
thing (I know I don't) perhaps you could simply post a copy of your
institution's public statement on the use of animals in research.  From what
I've seen, most universities have finally been forced to take positive stands
to protect the work done on their campus'.  Simple distribution of them over
Usenet, in an appropriate place like talk.politics.animals, is necessary if
the public is ever to become aware of their existance.
	If anyone is interested: the CFAAR (Coalition for Animals & Animal
Research) Newsletter is a wonderful way to be kept abreast of the animal
"rights" problem and what's being done to confront the activists.  Student
membership is just $5, regular membership is $10.  The address is:

		CFAAR
		P.O. Box 8060,
		Berkeley, CA   94707-8060

	BTW, I'm just a lowly student member, greatly impressed by their
newsletter.  If anyone involved with an active CFAAR chapter reads this I'd
be very happy if you could E-Mail me.