Image processing newsgroup under discussion in news.groups

Mike Folsom mwfolsom at
Wed Apr 15 21:28:01 EST 1992

Folks -

Got this earlier today via the confocal microscopy mailing list.  Just
thought some of you might be interested.

Blue skies -

Date:         Wed, 15 Apr 1992 12:00:38 -0500
Sender: Confocal Microscopy List <CONFOCAL%UBVM.BITNET at>
From: "Edward J. Huff" <huff%MCCLB0.MED.NYU.EDU at>
Subject:      Image processing newsgroup under discussion

There is presently a discussion going on in news.groups regarding the
creation of a USENET newsgroup devoted to image processing.  It was
originally proposed as, but a good case is
being made for sci.imaging, which would be a group for scientists to
discuss their image processing problems.  From the volume of discussion,
it looks likely to me that some such group will be created.

Please participate, by posting a short note such as "I would read
sci.imaging" to news.groups, with subject line "Re: RFD for new IMAGE
PROCESSING newsgroup".
Some other proposed names were comp.imag-pro, comp.dsp.imaging, etc.

Also, a mailing list for interested people has been set up, send subscribe
requests to image-proc-request at  The list will
probably be discontinued once the newsgroup is created.
Edward J. Huff   huff at   (212)998-8465
Keck Laboratory for Biomolecular Imaging
NYU Chemistry Deptartment, 31 Washington Place, New York NY 10003

"No, I had no problem communicating with Latin American heads of state -
  though now I do wish I had paid more attention to Latin when I was in
    high school."
                                              -- Vice President Dan Quayle
M.W.Folsom\Biology/UNM\Albuqueerque,NM87131/505.277.4228\mwfolsom at