Question: What are the HGML numbers in Medline?

David Steffen steffen at mbir.bcm.tmc.edu
Sat Apr 11 17:02:23 EST 1992

Sorry for the cross posting; looking over the list of bionet groups,
none of them seemed all that approriate, though these seemed close.

In the Medline database are listed accession numbers for Genbank,
EMBL, DDBJ, PIR, and HGML.*   I know what the first four are, but am
having trouble with the fifth.  I am under the impression that HGML
stands for Human Genome Map Locus, and that the HGML organization is
presently GDB (Genome Data Base) at Johns Hopkins (Welch Lab), on
which I have an account.  However, poring over the manual, and roving
the database, I can see nowhere that the HGML numbers are used.  These
are NOT the OMIM numbers, which I understand.

So... does anyone know what the HGML numbers are and how they can be
used?

Thanks!

===

*For those who don't know:

The numbers I am referring to are found in the MS field of Medline.

Genbank, EMBL, and DDBJ are the accession numbers for Genbank, EMBL,
and the DNA DataBase of Japan.  The actual numbers are interchangable;
you can use the DDBJ number on Genbank and get the correct sequence,
for example.

PIR are the PIR accession numbers. (There are few of these currently
in the database).

--
David Steffen
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX 77030
Internet = steffen at bcm.tmc.edu