IMPORTANT - new BIOSCI transatlantic distribution mechanism

Fri Apr 10 15:34:53 EST 1992

BIOFORUM/bionet.general readers,

Monday AM, UK (GMT) time, we will change our distribution mechanism on
this newsgroup between GenBank and Daresbury, the U.K. BIOSCI node.

Messages will be exchanged directly between the news systems at these
two sites instead of via the current mail distribution.  This will
ultimately add reliability and allow easy recovery from any prolonged
network interruptions because the news software will automatically
check the archives at each site after an interruption and retrieve any
messages which may have been missed.

Over the next few weeks we will be switching all of the newsgroups to
this new distribution mechanism, but first we are moving selected
groups as a test.  We will monitor the system closely and appreciate
your patience if any problems do develop.  We will do our best to
resolve them ASAP.

E-mail subscriptions will continue to be available from both sites.
The only difference is that currently GenBank and Daresbury exchange
messages by mail and then pass them on to e-mail subscribers.  Now the
exchange will be only via news and news postings will be extracted and
mailed to e-mail subscribers at each site.  Of course, we continue to
encourage all of you to drop e-mail as a means of participation and
make the switch to news software at your local sites.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at genbank.bio.net