CALL FOR DISCUSSION: bionet.biology.used-equipment

Jack Kramer kramer at news.miami.edu
Fri Apr 10 13:08:09 EST 1992

In article <1992Apr9.211509.6185 at midway.uchicago.edu> kps2 at midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>I think this is an interesting a potentially useful forum.  However,
>one concern that I have is that much 'used' biology equipment is
>owned by a government supplying grant funds and often tightly
>regulated by university or research foundation administrations.
>How would this problem be addressed in such a forum?
>
>Ken Scholz
>Dept. of Physiology
>Univ. of Chicago

This discussion should somehow be crossposted or forwarded to make
it available to granting agency personnel.  A great deal of used
equipment sits idle in store rooms at every campus and institution.
Most of it could continue to be very useful at other places.  The net
result could be the saving of a great deal of money by the grantors.
It seems to me that the major beneficiaries, the researchers and
the grantors, will have to squeeze the administrators in the middle
very hard, but the results would be worth it.

I would love to be able to get a commitment for the purchase of
needed equipment at reduced prices when preparing a proposal budget.
The NET could make this possible.

Perhaps some of the mid level administrators could see some advantage
to them as part of the "surveying out" of used equipment.