CALL FOR DISCUSSION: bionet.biology.used-equipment

Mike Folsom mwfolsom at hydra.unm.edu
Thu Apr 9 19:34:05 EST 1992

In article <1992Apr9.211509.6185 at midway.uchicago.edu> kps2 at midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>I think this is an interesting a potentially useful forum.  However,
>one concern that I have is that much 'used' biology equipment is
>owned by a government supplying grant funds and often tightly
>regulated by university or research foundation administrations.
>How would this problem be addressed in such a forum?

If the forum was used just for "advertising" then its probably not a
problem.  The two parties would have to work out terms then arrange
the paperwork.  From discussion with admin. people here things can
be transfered from one place to another as long as the proper paper
trail is laid down.  How to deal with $'s may be a bit of a problem
but that really will have to be worked out locally.

I think that this is a good idea.  A lot of perfectly good
equipment is stored all over the place and creating a marketplace
for its orderly transfer to people who need it seems a reasonable
use of bandwidth.  This group may be particularly useful for those
researchers who find themselves at small Colleges or Universities
and need basic equipment but don't have $'s to buy it new.  I've
seen my Dept. send perfectly good equipment to surplus that I know
somebody could use.  Here sending something to surplus means storing
it outside where is soon can be classifed as junk.

Why not call the group   --  bionet.equipment.recycle  -- ?
Al
Once somebody starts using the "system" for this they might be inclined
to explore other groups.

Be well ---

Michael