Mechanical stress and lignification

Rich Young x37176 young at sasquatch.serum.kodak.com
Thu Apr 9 17:59:25 EST 1992

In article <1992Apr2.144844.20239 at macc.wisc.edu> nmrdb at vms.macc.wisc.edu (BEVERLY SEAVEY) writes:
>In article <kljjkbn at lynx.unm.edu>, mwfolsom at hydra.unm.edu (Mike Folsom) writes...
>
>>>I only received one e-mail response to my question about the responses
>>>of plants to mechanical stress ...
>>>
>>>I'm interested in factors affecting the resistance of crop varieties to
>>>'lodging' damage and I wondered if anyone knows if mechanical stress
>>>can, itself, lead to lignification?  I know about 'stress' wood in
>>>trees but don't know if more subtle changes occur in response to
>>>mechanical stress such as the load from wind blowing on a canopy.
>>>

>Check out work by Janet Bramm. She had an article in cell showing that
>mechanical stimulation of Arabidopsis resulted in increased calmodulin
>production ( which I can imagine might be related to increased polysaccaride
>production and therefore cell wall stuff). The first article was in
>Cell about
>late 1989, I think

   I didn't think for a minute that I'd be able to contribute anything of
   use to this group, but I just happened to be reading through back issues
   of SCIENCE NEWS and remembered a reference to the Braam study.

   The summary is in SCIENCE NEWS, Vol. 137, No. 8, page 117; Feb. 24, 1990,
   and the published study is in CELL, Feb. 9, 1990.

   I hope this is of some use, even though it's a week late.

-Rich (young at serum.kodak.com)