protease mutants in fungi, yet again

Walt Lilly C749SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU
Thu Apr 9 12:50:55 EST 1992

I apparently had a problem with a message posted 04/07/92.  Let me try
again.  We are trying to isolate mutants for specific proteases from
a wood-decaying fungi.  Anyone have a suggestion for a selection scheme
that might work?  The problem is complicated by the fact that several
proteolytic activities are produced by the fungus including both exo-
and endo- proteases.  We can operate from spores using liquid or plate
culture.

Does anyone know of commercially available peptide substrates conjugated
to a toxin?  I'm thinking of some kind of fungal growth inhibitor,
perhaps as simple as CN, that might be released upon hydrolysis.
Any hot ideas?
*  WALT LILLY                     *                                    *
*  DEPARTMENT OF BIOLOGY          *  INTERNET: C749SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU *
*  SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE UNIV. *  BITNET: C749SCB at SEMOVM            *
*  CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO 63701       *                                    *